A very cool song from an equally cool dude that perfectly describes what others must think of me haha. I’m a big fan of Mr Waits. Check out “God’s away on business” as well.
From time to time some of you have been intrigued to know how I go about my builds/conversions/kitbashes, whatever you like to call them. I call them my models or my little guys haha.
Recently Mark Morin and The Imperfect Modeller have expressed interest so I thought I’d have a crack at showing you lot how I go about things.
When I was in a blues and roots band and even when I was in a punk metal band I was quite prolific when it came to writing songs. It was a passion which became an obsession. I had to write down what entered my head. I’d come home with scraps of paper in my pockets with words and ideas scribbled onto them.
What drove my obsession was an eagerness that felt like a quest to write the best song I could. Despite having some nice local success with the blues and roots band and writing/creating some well liked songs with my best mate and guitarist I never felt I achieved what I wanted.
Now, with this hobby I feel I’m on the same journey. Always pushing myself to do more weird and wonderful conversions but never quite feeling I’ve nailed it. Certainly enjoying the trip though, much like I did with the band.
Maybe I’m just my own worse critic hehe.
So, like with the songs, I form these ideas in my head of what I want the model to look like and the process begins.
Then, not always but sometimes, I write the ideas down.
Then it’s a case of making sure I have all my essentials at hand.
As you can see lots of bits to choose from and if I can’t find what I’m looking for amongst this lot I can always go to the lockers.
I forgot to mention that to really get me in the zone I have music playing in the background. Lately it’s been warhammer themed music like “Inquisitor Martyr” wow! If you haven’t listened to it do it!
Next I choose the basic bits that I had visualised.
Basically a body, a head, arms, legs and a weapon. Oh and a banner that I didn’t end up using. I also didn’t use the insect leg on this particular model.
Which brings me to the next section I’d like to bring up which is difficult to explain.
When I start I really do go into a zone, maybe the twilight zone I don’t know, it all becomes a bit of a blur. I’m lost in the creativity. It’s the same when I play drums. I’m barely aware of the other band members most of the time. I’m busy listening and counting. With modelling I get lost in the details. I think that’s one of my favourite things about the hobby. Hard to explain to most people but something tells me you lot will understand.
Therefore I didn’t really stay disciplined with photos of the process haha.
I, usually, start with the torso then arms, legs and head. With this model, I knew the arms would be trickier so I went Torso (which came with legs) and then Head.
I decided the head would be a large helmeted head with decaying moose antlers. However, underneath and for the back of the helmet I needed to show part of the head. One for the visual but two so the helmet had something to adhere to. So this is what he looked like at this stage.
As you can see, pretty ugly but essential.
Thats it for photos of the process so I’ll step you through the next parts with bullet points.
* Drill eye hole on the helmet and add scratches. Then glue the helmet to the head. (Please note: I imagine a monstrous head underneath the helmet NoT the head that is actually there but as no one would, literally, see the head I went for a generic one).
* Build/add arms. Paying special attention to the blade/striking arm. For me, getting the angle right on things is important. I’ve seen good models go bad because the head is tilted weird or the arm is stretched back too much etc.
* Add extra bits ie sword, antlers and also start to think about what would be at the end of his chain.
* Fill in large chest gaps with “tabs” of plastic. Imagine fixing a large hole in plaster paint wall. You need something like a piece of plaster or board to attach so the filler will have something to stick to. It’s the same in the miniature world. I cut off little bits of plastic to fill the large holes so I can then use bicarbonate soda and super glue over the top of it.
* Bicarbonate soda and super glue to use as filler for the whole model. Chest and arm joints in particular.
* Then I threw together the creepy little fella who is at the end of the chain. After making him I made several others who are now known as “The Children”. More on them another time.
* Next up was the base. I love cork tiles for bases because of their versatility and texture. So easy to use. I had to have the “Monster” raised above the disciple because of the angle of the chain but it works well.
In the end it was a relatively simple conversion. Probably a good thing for this explanatory post I’d say. For me the concept or visual is the most important thing not necessarily how you did it or what bits etc.
Here he is my signature monochromatic style haha.
From The Black Plague Army I give you “The Butcher and the Disciple”
Oh yes and remember, The beast inside me is caged by frail and fragile bars – Johnny’s cash.