Thank you all so much for your responses to the question I posed the other day in regards to Nazis and Swastikas for my Bolt Action Project.
It was interesting getting all your points of views and definitely helped in guiding me to my own conclusions and decision.
As it appears that the Swastika wasn’t really used a great deal in combat and was predominantly used with the emergence of the Nazi party in the 1930s, my decision was all the more easier to make.
I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t feel overly comfortable about painting the Swastika so, initially, I was thinking to leave it out altogether but I also didn’t want to ignore the fact that it was part of our history.
Therefore my decision is somewhere between.
I’m going to paint the Swastika, just once, on one miniature and that miniature will be Adolf himself. I’ll use the Oswald Mosley miniature from Warlord Games to represent the nasty little cretin. He won’t appear much at all on the battle-table and if/when he does he will more than likely play a very small role. Maybe the allies could use him as target practice.
Once he’s painted I’ll post him on here but not on Instagram. The blog is a more personal and intimate platform in which I feel you guys get to know me and I get to know you. Therefore you’ll know that I’m not a crazy far right wing Nazi fascist. On Instagram it’s different. People just flick through and “like” so seeing a Nazi and Swastika in their feed might just make them see red without knowing the full story.
Thanks again for all your input, it really did help. 👍🏼
Ok now onto something a bit more fun.
Ive painted my first bit of terrain for Bolt Action which I could also use in HellGate or several other settings.
It’s the humble little stone hut/barn from OTP Terrain and I’m quite happy with it.
I undercoated the walls and floor in black and the roof I did in a light terracotta colour.
I then dry brushed the walls and floor with dark grey, then mid grey, light grey and finally a little pallid white. The timber uprights and windows were done with dark brown (with a slight red to tie in with the terracotta) and then dry brushed with a mid and light brown.
The roof I washed, lightly, with Nuln Oil then dry brushed with a pale muddy grey colour. I like the result as it makes the roof look quite weathered.
Then, for a bit of fun, I dabbed in a little blood on the floor and internal doorsteps. Haha.
I can see some print lines but not enough to worry me to be honest.
I can imagine some Aussie Militia taking refuge here before heading back into the steaming Jungles of New Guinea.
Oh look… there’s some now.